xLenorex

Lenore

I'm a hopeful cynic.

Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)

Home Work (Life Lessons, #3) - Kaje Harper When I learned there was going to be a third book in the Life Lessons series:------------------09 October 2012Finished. There are so many things I would like to say. How I love Kaje Harper's honest and captivating voice. How Mac and Tony have touched my heart again and again and again. How this installment may be the most emotional, most romantic of the three but it manages to avoid being sappy or too saccharine (there's even a gay wedding in there and the "you may kiss your husband" scene, where Mac kisses Tony, plastered a perma-grin on my face and had me melting in a puddle of goo instead of making my teeth hurt and my eyes roll). How well-researched the story felt. As in the other Life Lessons books, it was obvious that the author made an effort and it showed in the crime parts of the story. Now the medical parts (aka my biggest pet peeve in romance stories)? Allow me to commend Ms Harper for a job well done. They might be a little toned down (which was fine, it's fiction after all) but they weren't glossed over or far-fetched and serious conditions didn't magically disappear overnight. Again, it was obvious that they were carefully researched. I appreciated that. Much.My only issue with the story was that Mac became even more alpha in this installment, while Tony became even more beta and their relationship felt a bit heterofied. I mean, they work perfectly together and I love them like few other fictional m/m couples, but Mac could take the butch down a notch and Tony could start making the first step more frequently.Also, I wondered why there were so many references to stocky/plump/overweight/obese people in this book. The stocky ME, Gretchen. Craig's obese landlord and his mother. The overweight intern who looked nothing like her facebook profile pic. Tony's plump mother. The overweight silhouette of a nurse.There were some minor formatting issues in my e-copy (missing section breaks) but nothing really serious.And I'm sorry but I can't help myself: I hope IA rip Terrance a new one and he ends up writing traffic tickets for the remainder of his career as a police officer. And I have only two words for Brenda: good riddance! Wait, make that five words: good riddance, you bigoted bitch!Overall, I enjoyed this story very much and I think it's a great addition to a wonderful series. I'm already counting the days until the next book.