xLenorex

Lenore

I'm a hopeful cynic.

Skybound

Skybound - Aleksandr Voinov I take my hat off to Mr Voinov. Because here I am giving one of my rare five-star ratings to a) a historical (about WWII, no less), b) told in present tense, c) and through a first person POV.Anyone who knows me and my reading habits also knows that all of the above are major turn-offs for me. I avoid historicals like the plague. War stories at that? Please, no. I'll do anything you want, just don't make me read them. Present tense/first person POV? Kill me now.Yet this? This? This was emotions, images, smells, tastes, consuming me and overwhelming me from the first paragraph. This was two characters I felt I knew even though Skybound is a short—too short!—story. This was poetry.And who cares about present tense, or first person POV. It was so beautifully done, I didn't notice. No, scratch that. It was exactly how this story should be told. Third person/simple past wouldn't have had the same effect on me. And who cares about the era. If this is what period pieces are, I'll read them any day, every day.